Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Hincheyville

 
 
Hincheyville Marker image. Click for full size.
May 10, 2020
1. Hincheyville Marker
Inscription.  In early 1819, Alfred Balch, Felix Grundy, James Irwin, Randal McGavock, and James Trimble developed Hincheyville, Franklin's first subdivision. The ninety acres, extending from Fair to Eleventh Avenues, including 26 lots on Fair Street, 25 lots on Main Street, and 8 lots on Bridge Street. The subdivision was named for Hinchea Petway, a wealthy merchant who had owned the land and whose fine brick home, built across Main Street approximately 90 yards west, had to be razed. Hincheyville was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
 
Erected 1993 by Heritage Foundation of Franklin and Williamson County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1819.
 
Location. 35° 55.393′ N, 86° 52.379′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and 7th Avenue South, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 615 W Main St, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker. Franklin Cumberland Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Franklin Special School District (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamson County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Field Hospitals (about 400 feet away); Harris-McEwan House (about 400 feet away); Andrew Jackson (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Harris-McEwan House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Hincheyville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, December 8, 2012
2. Hincheyville Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 10, 2020.   2. submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61716

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 15, 2024