Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manalapan Township in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Tennant Church

1778 - 1901

 
 
Old Tennant Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bryan Olson, circa July 2003
1. Old Tennant Church Marker
Inscription.  In grateful remembrance of patriots who, on Sabbath June 28,1778, gained the victory which was the turning point in the War for Independence, and to mark a memorable spot on the battlefield of Monmouth.

[Plaque located opposite main marker]:
This edifice was erected in 1751, and was used as a hospital during the Battle of Monmouth, June 28, 1778.
 
Erected 1901 by Daughters of the American Revoultion.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 28, 1830.
 
Location. 40° 17.027′ N, 74° 19.563′ W. Marker is in Manalapan Township, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker can be reached from Tennent Road (County Route 3) 0.1 miles south of Craig Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Englishtown NJ 07726, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Continental Soldiers Grave (here, next to this marker); Patriot Members of the Society of the Cincinnati
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Old Tennent Soldiers and Sailors World War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Tennent Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Perrine Hill Spring (approx. 0.4 miles away); Molly Hays McCauley (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Great Cannonade (approx. half a mile away); An Inspiring Commander in Chief (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manalapan Township.
 
Related Tennent Church plaque<br>(opposite main marker) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By R. C.
2. Related Tennent Church plaque
(opposite main marker)
Old Tennent Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By R. C.
3. Old Tennent Presbyterian Church
The "front" entrance to the church is actually on the side of the building. The DAR Marker is to the left of the front doors and the plaque is to the right.
Old Tennant Church and cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bryan Olson, July 2003
4. Old Tennant Church and cemetery
Old Tennant Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bryan Olson, circa July 2003
5. Old Tennant Church
Old Tennant Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bryan Olson
6. Old Tennant Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2008, by Bryan Olson of Syracuse, New York. This page has been viewed 2,172 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 13, 2008, by Bryan Olson of Syracuse, New York.   2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2009, by Ronald Claiborne of College Station, Texas.   4, 5, 6. submitted on March 13, 2008, by Bryan Olson of Syracuse, New York. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6172

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024