Grayville in White County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Present Site of The Gray Family Cemetery
Former Site of
The First Presbyterian Church USA
The first Presbyterian Church in Grayville was organized in 1850 under the leadership of Mrs. Thomasann Gray. In 1868 the members built a small wooden Church on this corner of the cemetery, a gift from a member of the Gray Family.
It was replaced by a large brick structure in 1915. The congregation disbanded in 2005 and the land was returned to the Gray Family.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 38° 15.39′ N, 87° 59.786′ W. Marker is in Grayville, Illinois, in White County. Marker is on Court Street (Illinois Route 1) near South Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West South Street, Grayville IL 62844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gray Family Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomasanne Payne Home Site (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gray Opera House (about 600 feet away); Gray MansionMike Smith's Saloon (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Empire Corner" (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Gray's Stables and Slave Quarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grayville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.