Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
near Whitney in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Graham Cemetery

 
 
Fort Graham Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
1. Fort Graham Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Settlement in this area began shortly after Fort Graham, a frontier military post established here in 1849, was abandoned in 1853. The first recorded burial in this cemetery, named after the fort, was that of infant Charley Botkin in 1879. The cemetery was the only one of a number of historic graveyards in this area to remain undisturbed by the creation of Lake Whitney in the early 1950s. Among the more than 300 people buried here are many of the area's early settlers and their descendants. The cemetery remains active and is maintained by an association formed in 1966.
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995
 
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1985.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 32° 1.459′ N, 97° 21.123′ W. Marker is in near Whitney, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 933, on the right when traveling south. Located between White Bluff Drive and FM 2604. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whitney TX 76692, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Fort Graham Cemetery Marker, at right, seen along FM 933 , looking south image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
2. Fort Graham Cemetery Marker, at right, seen along FM 933 , looking south
Cemetery located several miles to the west
Click or scan to see
this page online
other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Huron (approx. 1.2 miles away); King Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Whitney (approx. 5.4 miles away); Whitney Messenger (approx. 5.4 miles away); Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Ivy-Atchison Pioneer Home (approx. 8.2 miles away); Blum Cemetery (approx. 8.3 miles away); Guy Bailey (approx. 8.6 miles away).
 
Regarding Fort Graham Cemetery. Cemetery located several miles to the west, a maze of local roads off nearby White Bluff Drive to Ft. Graham Cemetery GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 32.01250, Longitude: -97.40360
The Fort Graham Cemetery is located on Trailwood Drive inside White Bluff Resort on FM 933 between Whitney and Blum. Ask directions at the gate when entering the resort.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Fort Graham Cemetery
is on a hill overlooking the Brazos River that is now part of Lake Whitney. None of the old Fort is remaining, but there is a historical marker (to be found) down the hill from the cemetery on the spot where the old Fort once stood. Many of the graves are marked with rocks and nothing else. Also, many have faded with time and were hard to read. (by Access Genealogy.com)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
    — Submitted December 21, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 597 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 22, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=62018

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022