Lexington Park in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cedar Point Lighthouse
The Cedar Point Lighthouse marked the southern point of the confluence of the Chesapeake Bay and the Patuxent River during the years from its completion in 1896 until it was abandoned by the Coast Guard in 1928. This cupola stood 50 feet in elevation, atop the three story brick and frame lighthouse. The Navy purchased the building in 1958, but with no maintenance funds available the structure deteriorated rapidly.
Following severe damage by Hurricane David in 1979, the Friends of the Cedar Point Lighthouse initiated an effort to preserve the cupola.
In December 1981, the cupola was removed and brought ashore.
In June 1983, the cupola was erected at the sight of the old museum. The cupolas was dedicated on 24 May 1985. In 2001 the cupola was put into temporary storage. The cupola was returned to the museum’s custody on 10 August 2005.
Cedar Point Lighthouse and
placed here at the Naval Air
Test and Evaluation Museum
historical landmark of
St. Mary’s County with other
memorabilia from the Center.
Erected by U.S. Navy.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 24, 1985.
Location. 38° 16.564′ N, 76° 27.776′ W. Marker is in Lexington Park, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) north of Pegg Road/Burse Rd., on the right when traveling east. Marker can be reached from Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) on the right when traveling north. The marker is on the lot, east of the parking area and the main entrance to the Pax River Naval Air Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22156 Three Notch Road, Lexington Park, MD 20653, Lexington Park MD 20653, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cedar Point Lighthouse Cupola (1896) (here, next to this marker); Beech T-34B Mentor (a few steps from this marker); Raytheon T-6A Texan II (a few steps from this marker); McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II (a few steps from this marker); NC-8A Mobile Electric Power Plant (MEPP) (within shouting distance of this marker); North American T-2C Buckeye (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell-Boeing MV-22B Osprey Test Aircraft No. 8 ("Eight-ball") (within shouting distance of this marker); TA-75A Tow Tractor (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington Park.
Also see . . . Chesapeake Chapter, U.S. Lighthouse Society: Cedar Point Light. (Submitted on November 10, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 9, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 574 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on January 9, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 10, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 6, 7, 8. submitted on January 31, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.