Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Burning of the Brig "Peggy Stewart"
which was then the shore of the bay,
the Brig “Peggy Stewart” was burned
by her owner, “Anthony Stewart.”
October 19, 1774
To pacify the indignation of the
citizens roused by the payment of
duties on seventeen boxes of tea
imported in the brig.
Erected in conformity with the
Act of Congress of March 3, 1903.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is March 3, 1903.
Location. 38° 58.975′ N, 76° 28.862′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Holloway Road and Simms Road, on the right when traveling south on Holloway Road. Marker is located on the grounds of the United States Naval Academy. A picture ID is required to enter the Academy grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Butler in Annapolis (here, next to this marker); Vice Admiral James Bond StockdaleJapanese Ambassador Hirosi Saito (within shouting distance of this marker); Norman Scott Natatorium (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vice Admiral William Porter Lawrence, USN (about 300 feet away); Fort Severn and the United States Naval Academy (about 400 feet away); Site of Old Fort Severn (about 400 feet away); HMS Confiance Cannon (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
More about this marker. The marker, erected in 1903, is affixed to the side of Luce Hall. Luce Hall was completed in 1920. It is unclear where the marker was placed before Luce Hall was constructed.
Also see . . .
1. Burning of the Peggy Stewart. Maryland State House entry (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. The Peggy Stewart House. National Park Service entry:
Anthony Stewart, an Annapolis merchant, owned this house from 1772-79. In 1774 Revolutionaries forced him to burn his ship, the Peggy Stewart, when he attempted to land a cargo of tea on which he had paid taxes. Five years later, he fled to England. (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,337 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on January 22, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.