Rocky Mount in Franklin County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Near here stood a stockade erected by Capt. Nathaniel Terry and garrisoned by men under his command. Washington made “Terry’s Fort” a link in his chain of forts and inspected it in the fall of 1756.
Erected 1961 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number A-93.)
Location. 37° 3.167′ N, 79° 52.951′ W. Marker is in Rocky Mount, Virginia, in Franklin County. Marker is on Virgil H. Goode Hwy. (U.S. 220) south of Virginia Route 635, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rocky Mount VA 24151, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ferrum College (here, next to this marker); Carolina Road (here, next to this marker); Franklin County (approx. 3.6 miles away); Norfolk and Western Caboose (approx. 3.6 miles away); Rocky Mount (approx. 4 miles away); First Franklin County Court (approx. 4.4 miles away); Washington Iron Works (approx. 4.4 miles away); Taylor’s Store (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rocky Mount.
Categories. War, French and Indian •
More. Search the internet for Fort Blackwater.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 10, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 10, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.