Hermann in Gasconade County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
— The Pommers & The Gentners —
National Register of
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Catherine Oelschaeger Gentner bought the house in 1882 for $1,500. She and her husband, G. Heinrich, had been a part of the first group who arrived in December 1837 to begin the town of Hermann. Unlike the Pommers, the Gentners started with very little. They first lived in a log house, but eventually they prospered and were able to own one of the finest residences in town.
The design of the house reflects a simplified Greek and Roman temple appearance. Variations of this restrained neoclassical style can be found in brick buildings of German communities all across Missouri.
This house is associated with two early Hermann families. Both the Pommer and Gentner families were among the initial members of the Deutsche Ansiedlungs-Gesellschaft zu Philadelphia (German Settlement Society of Philadelphia). Organized in 1836, the group sought to create a better place for Germans to preserve their
Although her husband, a piano maker and officer of the society, had died, Caroline Pommer moved her family to Hermann and built the house in 1840. But the new frontier could not support a music instrument business and her sons turned to carpentry. That also proved to be insufficient so the Pommers sold their house in 1856 and left Hermann. One son, Frederick Wilhelm, moved to St. Louis where he established a successful music business; his son, William Frederick (1851-1936), studied in Germany and Austria and became a noted Missouri composer, conductor, and professor of music at the University of Missouri-Columbia.
Erected by Missouri Dept of Natural Resources.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 42.383′ N, 91° 26.272′ W. Marker is in Hermann, Missouri, in Gasconade County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street (Missouri Route 19/100) and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on Market Street. Markers are part of the Deutschheim State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 West 2nd Street, Hermann MO 65041, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Hermann: Germania's Liberator (within shouting distance of this marker); Hermann Honor Roll World War II (within shouting distance of this marker); Hermann (within shouting distance of this marker); The Robyn House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Maria Waechter House (about 400 feet away); Conrad Schuch Home (about 400 feet away); Gasconade County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Strehly House / The Strehlys (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hermann.
Also see . . .
1. Deutschheim State Historic Site, Missouri. (Submitted on February 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Hermann, Missouri. (Submitted on February 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Hermann Historic District National Register Nomination Amendment. (Submitted on February 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.