Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Christian Brothers High School / Christian Brothers Band

 
 
Christian Brothers High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John Morris, September 13, 2012
1. Christian Brothers High School Marker
Inscription.  

Christian Brothers High School
Christian Brothers High School, the oldest high school for boys in Memphis, opened November 21, 1871 as the secondary department of Christian Brothers College at 612 Adams Avenue. CBC was established by the Brothers of the Christian Schools, a Roman Catholic religious teaching order founded in 1681 in France. The school survived three yellow fever epidemics of the 1870s. Alumnus Malcolm Rice Patterson was the first native Memphian elected governor of Tennessee, serving from 1902 to 1911. In 1940 CBC moved to 650 East Parkway South. In 1948, Mayor Watkins Overton saluted CBC as a "Temple of Tolerance," welcoming Catholic, Jewish and Protestant students. The first African-American student, Jesse Hosea Turner, Jr., was admitted in 1962. He enrolled in 1963, yielding the first racially diverse high school student body in Memphis. The high school moved to 5900 Walnut Grove Road in 1965 under separate charter from the college.
Continued

Reverse
Christian Brothers Band
The Christian Brothers Band of Memphis is the oldest high school band in America. Br. Maurelian
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
organized the band in 1872 and served as its first director. The band has performed for many important functions over the years, including the 1876 dedication of the Hebe Fountain in Court Square; a visit by President Grover Cleveland in 1887; aboard steamboat Kate Adams for dedication of the first railroad bridge across the lower Mississippi in 1892, a 1900 parade honoring Admiral George Dewey; so many Cotton Carnival parades that the band was recognized as the official band of that civic endeavor; the dedication of St. Jude Children's Hospital in 1962; a 1967 rally for Richard Nixon, who later was elected President; and concerts at New York's Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center during 2009. Prominent band alumni include Sun Records recording artist, arranger, and film composer Bill Justis.
 
Erected 2012 by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 169.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionCivil RightsEducation. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #22 and #24 Grover Cleveland, the Former U.S. Presidents: #37 Richard M. Nixon, and the Tennessee Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is November 21, 1860.
 
Location. 35° 7.864′ N, 89° 51.793′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Grove Road and Briarview Street, on the right when traveling west on Walnut Grove Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5900 Walnut Grove Road, Memphis TN 38120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shelby County Hospital / Shelby County Center (approx. 1.8 miles away); Crystal Shrine Grotto (approx. 1.9 miles away); Mullins United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Mosby-Bennett House (approx. 2.1 miles away); St. Agnes Academy (approx. 2.1 miles away); Shelby County / Memphis (approx. 2.1 miles away); Memphis University School (approx. 2.2 miles away); First Holiday Inn (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2013. This page has been viewed 840 times since then and 67 times this year. Last updated on February 12, 2013, by Patty Scully of Memphis, Tennessee. Photo   1. submitted on January 17, 2013. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=63274

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024