Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
You can follow the old stone roadway or a pathway that leads to the Victorian stone mansion, called Orianda, and small wooden chapel at the top of the hill. At the pathway's midpoint is a mock battlement, which may have been built to protect the Confederate-sympathizing Winatis family or to represent a Crimean War fortification. Near the stream, to the left, you will see a large iron wheel that pumped water to the mansion.
Leakin Park encompasses the Crimea estate, which the City of Baltimore purchased in 1941 and 1948 with a bequest left by John Wilson Leakin.
The cast-iron eagles still flank the Windsor Mill Road entrance to Crimea as they did in this 1926 photo.
Orianda, the Crimea mansion, was built in 1856-57.
Erected by Gwynns Falls Trail Council.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Gwynns Falls Trail marker series.
Location. 39° 18.243′ N, 76° 41.731′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from North Franklintown Road. Marker is on trail, 500 feet east of parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gwynn Oak MD 21207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orianda House (here, next to this marker); A Name Before a Place (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leakin Park at Winans Meadow (about 400 feet away); Crimea Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crimea (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norman Van Allan Reeves (approx. ¼ mile away); Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Caretaker House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Also see . . .
1. Image of the marker. (Submitted on March 17, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
2. Gwynns Falls Trail Council. (Submitted on March 17, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Crimea Estate.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,666 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 19, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.