St. Marys in Camden County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Spanish Occupation of Georgia
Began in 1566 and virtually ended
1686 when the Spanish garrisons
and missions in the face of
English intrusion from Carolina
withdrew south of St. Marys River
Erected 1938 by Department of Natural Resources, Division of State Parks Historic Sites & Monuments, St Marys Garden Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1566.
Location. 30° 43.564′ N, 81° 32.836′ W. Marker is in St. Marys, Georgia, in Camden County. Marker is at the intersection of Osborne Street (Georgia Route 40) and Dillingham Street, in the median on Osborne Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys GA 31558, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of St. Marys (here, next to this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800 (about 500 feet away); Washington Pump & OakGeorge Washington Oak Tree Site (about 500 feet away); Clark-Bessant House (about 700 feet away); Orange Hall (about 700 feet away); First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Marys.
Regarding Spanish Occupation of Georgia. In Georgia prior to the eighteenth century, the Spanish presence also included Catholic missionaries, who established Santa Catalina de Guale and other short-lived missions at points along Georgia's coast from 1568 through 1684. These missions played a key role in assimilating the Native American populations of the region into the colonial system.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.