Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Midtown in Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Georgia Infirmary

First African-American Hospital in the United States

 
 
Georgia Infirmary Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
1. Georgia Infirmary Marker
Inscription.  Chartered by the Georgia General Assembly in 1832, the Infirmary was established "for the relief and protection of afflicted and aged Africans" under the provisions of the last will and testament of Savannah merchant and minister Thomas F. Williams (1774-1816). Originally located south of the city, it was moved here in 1838. Its fourteen acres included several single-story buildings and small farm tracts for vegetable gardens. In 1904, the Infirmary became one of the earliest training schools for African-American nurses. In 1975, it became Georgia's first day center for stroke rehabilitation.
 
Erected 2001 by The Georgia Historical Society and The Georgia Infirmary, Inc. (Marker Number 25-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCharity & Public WorkScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
 
Location. 32° 3.487′ N, 81° 5.837′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. It is in Midtown. Marker is on Abercorn Street, on the left when traveling south. Near E. 35th St. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1910 Abercorn Street, Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mother Mathilda Beasley, O.S.F. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lawton Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colored Library Association of Savannah (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mamie George Williams (approx. 0.4 miles away); Birthplace of Eighth Air Force (approx. half a mile away); The Georgia Volunteer (approx. half a mile away); British Evacuation (approx. half a mile away); The Kiah House Museum (1959-2001) (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
 
Also see . . .  Georgia Infirmary. Its programs are designed to help avoid or delay nursing facility placement, decrease hospitalizations and emphasize preventive health care. (Submitted on March 20, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Georgia Infirmary Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 2008
2. Georgia Infirmary Marker
Georgia Infirmary, today image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 2008
3. Georgia Infirmary, today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 20, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,244 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2, 3. submitted on March 20, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6407

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024