Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Foxcroft Heights in Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Freedman's Village

 
 
Freedman's Village Marker image. Click for full size.
February 9, 2008
1. Freedman's Village Marker
Inscription.  After the outbreak of the Civil War, escaped slaves sought refuge at Union Camps and thousands crowded into the Federal City. In response to the unhealthy conditions in Washington, the government selected a site on Arlington Heights in May, 1863, to provide freed slaves with housing and opportunities for work, training and education. Freedman’s Village, which was located in Arlington National Cemetery, was soon built and formally dedicated on December 4, 1863. There were over 50 two-story duplex houses, two churches, a school, a meeting hall, hospital and home for the aged and infirm. In time the population exceeded 1,000. Though intended to be temporary, the village lasted into the 1890s, when it was closed and its residents dispersed.
 
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1863.
 
Location. 38° 52.124′ N, 77° 4.26′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. It is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in Foxcroft Heights. Marker is at the intersection of South Oak Street and Southgate Road, on the right when traveling north on South Oak Street. Marker is located at Foxcroft Heights Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22209, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Freedman’s Village (here, next to this marker); Site of Arlington Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Edwin Peary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Matthew Alexander Henson (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Coast Guard Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); You Are Remembered (approx. ¼ mile away); The Peacemaker (approx. ¼ mile away); 96th Infantry Division, U.S. Army (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Also see . . .  Lost Village of Slaves Found. Blog post from the Civil War Librarian. (Submitted on April 27, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Freedman's Village Marker image. Click for full size.
February 9, 2008
2. Freedman's Village Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 20, 2008. This page has been viewed 2,082 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 20, 2008. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6409

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024