Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
King City in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Salinas Valley Cookwagon, c. 1888 / Cookwagon

 
 
Salinas Valley Cookwagon, c. 1888 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2013
1. Salinas Valley Cookwagon, c. 1888 Marker
Inscription.  
Salinas Valley Cookwagon, c1888
Originally owned by Paul Talbot, this cookwagon was used on the Henry Dunphy Ranch, now the Salinas Land Co. The Smart brothers purchased the wagon in the 1930’s and used it into the 1940’s. Under the direction of Tom Thwaits and Bob Hinzman, the wagon was restored by the Community Service Crew of Soledad Prison with funds donated by the Odd Fellows
Cookwagon
This Cook Wagon was used by the late Paul Talbot from the turn-of-century to 1920. Talbot farmed the land on the west side of the Salinas River from Pine Canyon to Greenfield, approximately 16,000 acres. The wagon followed Harvester Crews during the harvest season.

Donated by William Smart in memory of his brother, Lester

Restored thanks to funds from I.O.O.F. San Bernabe Lodge, No. 358
(?)nor Rebekah Lodge #174
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
 
Location. 36° 12.391′ N, 121° 8.803′ W. Marker is in King City, California
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from San Lorenzo Park Road, on the left when traveling north. The markers and cookwagon are located in San Lorenzo Park. The Salinas Cookwagon is part of the Monterey County Agriculture and Rural Life Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: King City CA 93930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wind Power (within shouting distance of this marker); La Gloria Schoolhouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); De Anza Expedition 1775-1776 (about 700 feet away); Mission San Antonio de Padua (approx. ¾ mile away); Metz Field/ Chapin Int'l Airport (approx. 9.1 miles away); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (approx. 14.4 miles away); First Marriage in California (approx. 14½ miles away); The Hacienda (approx. 14.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in King City.
 
Cook Wagon and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2013
2. Cook Wagon and Marker
This second marker is mounted on the side of the wagon.
Salinas Valley Cookwagon, c1888 and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2013
3. Salinas Valley Cookwagon, c1888 and Marker
The marker is mounted on a sign post in front of the cookwagon.
Salinas Valley Cookwagon image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2013
4. Salinas Valley Cookwagon
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 12, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64338

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024