Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Smithville in Brunswick County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Brunswick

 
 
Brunswick Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, February 5, 2017
1. Brunswick Marker
Inscription.  Founded c. 1725, long a principal port of N.C., site of Spanish attack, 1748, and of Stamp Act resistance, 1766. Later abandoned. Was 2 mi. S.E.
 
Erected 1954 by the Archives Conservation and Highway Departments. (Marker Number D-54.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1725.
 
Location. 34° 4.165′ N, 77° 57.38′ W. Marker is near Smithville, North Carolina, in Brunswick County. Marker is on Plantation Road north of Plantation Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnabow NC 28479, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arthur Dobbs (a few steps from this marker); Spanish Attack (within
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
shouting distance of this marker); Fort Anderson (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Orton Plantation (approx. half a mile away); St. Philips Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Russellborough (approx. 1.7 miles away); Russelborough (approx. 1.8 miles away); Brunswick Town State Historic Site (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithville.
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally erected at 34° 3.79′ N, 77° 57.495′ W, at the entrance to the Orton Plantation Gardens, now permanently closed.
 
Brunswick Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, February 5, 2017
2. Brunswick Marker
Original Location of the Bruskwick and St. Phillips Church Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
3. Original Location of the Bruskwick and St. Phillips Church Markers
Markers were at the the entrance to Orton Plantation Gardens, now closed, and the section of Plantation Road where they were originally erected has been decommissioned.
The Harbor at Brunswick on the Cape Fear River image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
4. The Harbor at Brunswick on the Cape Fear River
Nothing remains of the town except the ruins of St. Philips Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,474 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3, 4. submitted on March 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6451

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024