Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near New Carlisle in St. Joseph County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Rooted in Studebaker History

 
 
Rooted in Studebaker History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 26, 2013
1. Rooted in Studebaker History Marker
Inscription.  In 1926 the Studebaker Corporation purchased 850 acres from area farmers to develop an automobile proving ground. This same year, the Clubhouse was built for employee lodging, including a caretaker's apartment. The Clubhouse transformed over the next 40 years with renovations and uses, such as design and drafting rooms, as well as serving as barracks for the US Army. In 1961 Sherwood Egbert, the last president of the Studebaker Corporation, utilized the Clubhouse as his private residence.

In 1966 the Studebaker Corporation sold the proving grounds to the Bendix Corporation. They in turn donated the Clubhouse and 175 acres to the newly formed St. Joseph County Parks and Recreation Board. Bendix Woods County Park opened in 1967. Today, the parks department uses the Clubhouse as a Nature Center, with office and meeting space.


A Living Tribute to Studebaker
In 1938 over 8,000 pine trees were planted in a half mile-long area by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The living sign was planned as a salute to the growing aviation industry. It was placed on the National Historic Register, along with the Clubhouse, in
Rooted in Studebaker History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 26, 2013
2. Rooted in Studebaker History Marker
Close-up of aerial photograph of Studebaker tree sign
Click or scan to see
this page online
1985. The sign is west of the Nature Center / Clubhouse.


According to the 1987 Guiness Book of World Records, the Studebaker sign is the largest living advertisement in the world. Red and white pines make up the living sign. Look for them as you hike in the park!
 
Erected by St. Joseph County Parks.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EnvironmentHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
 
Location. 41° 40.238′ N, 86° 29.382′ W. Marker is near New Carlisle, Indiana, in St. Joseph County. Marker can be reached from Timothy Rd, 0.4 miles south of State Road 2. Marker is located in Bendix Woods County Park; follow directions to the Nature Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Carlisle IN 46552, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Carlisle Founded (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Historic Lincoln Highway (approx. 2.6 miles away); New Carlisle World War II Honor Roll (approx. 2.6 miles away); New Carlisle Civil War Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Hamilton Methodist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away);
The Clubhouse, now the Park Nature Center image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 26, 2013
3. The Clubhouse, now the Park Nature Center
Hamilton Church Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Fort Wayne-Fort Dearborn Trail (approx. 5.8 miles away); Rolling Prairie School Honor Roll (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Carlisle.
 
Regarding Rooted in Studebaker History. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

If you Click for Map and switch to Satellite View you can see Studebaker spelled out with trees.
 
Also see . . .  Bendix Woods County Park. The St. Joseph County Parks website for Bendix Woods also includes vicinity and site maps, directions, and an informational brochure on the Clubhouse. (Submitted on April 26, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64814

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 7, 2021