Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Winnabow in Brunswick County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Anderson

 
 
Fort Anderson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
1. Fort Anderson Marker
Inscription.  Begun 1861. Named in honor of General Joseph R. Anderson, then commanding military district. The Fort, under command of Brig. Gen. Johnson Hagood, suffered a severe bombardment by a Federal fleet and attack by Federal army under Maj. Gen. J. M. Schofield in February, 1865 and was evacuated.
 
Erected 1919 by New Hanover Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1865.
 
Location. 34° 2.36′ N, 77° 56.802′ W. Marker is near Winnabow, North Carolina, in Brunswick County. Marker can be reached from St. Philips Road east of Plantation Road. It is at the base of the eastern wall of the St. Philip Church ruin at the Brunswick Town Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnabow NC 28479, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Maurice Moore (here, next to this marker); John LaPierre (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Brunswick Town State Historic Site
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Russelborough (approx. 0.4 miles away); Russellborough (approx. 0.4 miles away); Orton Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away); St. Philips Church (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winnabow.
 
Marker at the St. Philip Church Ruins image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
2. Marker at the St. Philip Church Ruins
The fort and its camps surrounded the ruin. Massive earthworks are still present just east of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,668 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   2. submitted on March 23, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6494

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024