Canastota in Madison County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Erie Canal
Historic New York
Passenger and freight barges crowded the canal. Western New York flourished with new, cheap transportation. The Erie Canal also hastened development of the Mid-West. Success of the Erie stimulated enlargement of the original canal in the 1840's and construction of additional canals. More than 500 miles of canals connected the Erie to other sections of New York State. After the 1870's, canal transportation declined and many canals closed. The Erie was modernized in 1918 as part of the State Barge Canal System consisting
Erected 1963 by State Education Department.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal, and the Historic New York marker series.
Location. 43° 5.75′ N, 75° 50.513′ W. Marker is in Canastota, New York, in Madison County. Marker is on NYS Thruway (U.S. 90) 4 miles west of N Peterboro Street (New York State Route 13). Marker is at a Thruway Rest area and faces away from the Thruway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canastota NY 13032, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Canaseraga (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lateral Canal (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lamplighters Cart (approx. 3.8 miles away); Quality Hill Green (approx. 3.9 miles away); Lenox Anti-Slavery Society (approx. 3.9 miles away); Congregational Church - 1814 (approx. 4.2 miles away); Amelia Earhart (approx. 4.3 miles away); Carmen Basilio (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canastota.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for The Erie Canal.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2017, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.