Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lake of the Woods in Orange County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battle of the Wilderness

May 5th, 1864

 
 
Battle of the Wilderness Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, May 1, 2013
1. Battle of the Wilderness Marker
Inscription.  1st NC Cavalry and Ewell's lead infantry regiments fought Sedgwick's three divisions throughout Lake of the Woods Golf Course.

Regiments from Nine States in Lake of the Woods
May 5, 1864

Union Infantry
Maine 5th, 6th, 7th
New Jersey 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 10th, 15th
New York 43rd, 49th, 77th, 121st
Ohio 126th
Pennsylvania 49th, 61st, 95th, 96th
Wisconsin 5th

Confederate Infantry
Louisiana 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th
Virginia 2nd, 4th, 5th, 13th, 25th
Cavalry
North Carolina 1st

10:00 A.M. - The First Battle inside of Lake of the Woods
Sedgwick's skirmishers encountered the 1st NC Cavalry in the area of Mt. Pleasant Dr. to Beachside Cr.

12:00 P.M. - Sedgwick established the 1st Division Field Hospital at Spotswood's Farm.
Sedgwick's 1st Division headed down Culpeper Mine Road toward Saunder's Field.
The 49th Pennsylvania Volunteers chased a number of the 1st NC dismounted troopers in the vicinity of the #1 fairway. Pvt. Westbrook stated, "We drove the rebels in our front like a lot of sheep."

2:00 P.M. - Ewell deployed skirmishers in front of his regiments that had
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
moved up the Culpeper Mine Road.
The 33rd Virginia Infantry rifles formed a line near the 5th green to the Lake. Ewell placed some artillery near Lee Cir. Their solid shot crashed through the tree tops along the 6th and 7th fairways.
Sedgwick's line stretched from Mansion Ct. back to Germanna Plank Road.
The 5th Wisconsin Infantry attacked Ewell's 1st Division in the area near LOW Church.

Sedgwick's Corps, some 24,163 troops, passed down Culpeper Mine Road and through the Wilderness.
During the next 36 hours of intense combat, 3,660 wounded walked or were carried back up the road to the Field Hospital; another 1,375 were killed or captured.
By midnight of May 6th, the rest had retreated to behind Keaton Lake.
 
Erected 2011 by Civil War Study Group and Lake of the Woods, Virginia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1876.
 
Location. 38° 20.2′ N, 77° 45.062′ W. Marker is in Lake of the Woods, Virginia, in Orange County. Marker is on Fairway Drive, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located at a park in Lake of the Woods Community, a gated community. Visitors must register to visit the marker. . Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Locust Grove VA 22508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker
Close Up of the Map on the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, May 1, 2013
2. Close Up of the Map on the Marker
, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Battle of the Wilderness (approx. half a mile away); Captain John Spotswood (approx. half a mile away); Orange Grove 1865 - 1967 (approx. half a mile away); Orange Grove 1728 - 1864 (approx. half a mile away); Spotswood Family Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gordon's Flank Attack (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Federals Fall Back (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Gordon's Flank Attack (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake of the Woods.
 
Battle of the Wilderness Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, May 1, 2013
3. Battle of the Wilderness Marker
Culpeper Mine Road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Payette, May 1, 2017
4. Culpeper Mine Road
Trail access point into NPS property. Located between lots 100-103 on Mansion Court, off of Gold Valley Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2013, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 785 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 12, 2013, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on May 2, 2017, by Pete Payette of Orange, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65281

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024