New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Hermann (Arminius) of the Cherusci tribe led several German tribes in battle against their Roman conquerors in 9 A.D., and defeated them in the hills of Teutoburg Forest near present Detmold. To later unified Germany, Hermann symbolized liberty and unity. In 1874 Ernst Von Bandel completed a colossal German Monument dedicated to Hermann near the Teutoburg site.
As a project of the National Sons of Hermann Lodges in the United States, Julius Berndt, New Ulm architect and county surveyor, conceived the building of a similar monument half the size in New Ulm. Local Lodge No. 21 acquired the New Ulm site in 1885 and named it "Hermann Heights." Berndt completed the base and cornerstone in 1888. Alphonso Pelzer, of Salem, Ohio, created a plaster model 32 feet high. W. H. Mullins Company made the statue in copper sheet sections; abutting edges were riveted to metal strips, part of the interior bracing. The interior framework was produced by Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Works.
The 32 feet statue arrived boxed at New Ulm in 1890. Inadequate financing though slowed the monument construction, some lodges protesting
With persistent effort by Otto Oswald and other local Sons of Hermann, New Ulm was given the monument and site in 1929. In 1972 Hermann Monument became a registered Minnesota Historic Site; in 1973 it was designated a Registered National Historic Place.
Erected 1976 by the Brown County Historical Society with the Otto F. Oswald Memorial Fund.
Topics. This historical marker monument is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Wars, Non-US. A significant historical year for this entry is 9 CE.
Location. 44° 18.428′ N, 94° 28.394′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker can be reached from Monument Street north of Center Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is in Hermann Heights Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 Monument Street, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Waraju Distillery (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joseph A. Harman (approx. ¼ mile away); Leavenworth Rescue Expedition (approx. 0.4 miles away); Colonel Wilhelm Pfaender (approx. 0.6 miles away); Defenders State Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Pioneers of Brown County Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Brown County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Hermann Heights Monument. Wikipedia entry. "It is the third largest copper statue in the United States." (Submitted on May 22, 2013.)
2. Hermannsdenkmal. Wikipedia entry. "The Hermannsdenkmal (German for Hermann monument) is a monument located in Ostwestfalen-Lippe in Germany... A similar Hermann Heights Monument exists in New Ulm, Minnesota. (Submitted on May 22, 2013.)
3. New Ulm Journal: Commission OKs Hermann Archway, Rock Monument. Article written by Josh Moniz, Journal Staff Writer, March 22, 2011 (Submitted on January 3, 2015, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
1. "Hermann the German"
As a college student in nearby Mankato in the 1970s, I had friends who were students at Dr. Martin Luther College (DMLC), a college across the street from the park, and remember that this statue was fondly known as "Hermann the German." I have many good memories here in New Ulm.
— Submitted January 3, 2015, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Additional keywords. Hermann the German
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 22, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.