Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coldwater in Branch County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961

 
 
The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
1. The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961 Marker
Inscription.  Potawatomie Indians ceded Coldwater Prairie to the United States in 1827. The Indians called it “Chuck-sew-ya-bish,” meaning “cold spring water.” Coldwater is located at the junction of Old Sauk and Fort Wayne Indian trails. The settlement's first house was built near this site in 1830 by Hugh Campbell. The first school was organized in 1832. Coldwater became a village in 1837, the county seat of Branch County in 1842, and a city on February 28, 1861. The State Home and Training School, dating back to 1871, is here. Coldwater has many fine old houses, legacies of the pioneers who built this city.
 
Erected 1961 by Coldwater Kiwanis Club. (Marker Number L19.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1810.
 
Location. 41° 56.445′ N, 85° 0.027′ W. Marker is in Coldwater, Michigan, in Branch County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of East Chicago Street (U.S. 12) and Marshall Street (Old U.S. 27), on the left when traveling east on East Chicago Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coldwater MI 49036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Branch County World War I Memorial (here, next to this marker); Old Sam (here, next to this marker); Loomis' Battery (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Loomis' Battery (a few steps from this marker); Coldwater Michigan National Guard Armory Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Frank D. Newberry (within shouting distance of this marker); Branch County World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Coldwater War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coldwater.
 
The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
2. The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961 Marker
At northeast corner of intersection of
Chicago St (US 12), Marshall St, and Division St
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 746 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65858

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024