Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fish Hall Plantation

 
 
Fish Hall Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 2008
1. Fish Hall Plantation Marker
Inscription.  This plantation was part of a 1717 Proprietary landgrant of 500 acres to Col. John Barnwell. Later owners included members of the Green, Ellis, and Pope families. Nearby tabby ruins are remains of fire places of slave cabins. Graves of blacks, who made up most of the island's population until after the 1950's, are in nearby Drayton Cemetery.
 
Erected 1985 by Beaufort County Council. (Marker Number 7-18.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansColonial EraNotable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1717.
 
Location. 32° 14.732′ N, 80° 41.793′ W. Marker is on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Fish Haul Road near Mitchelville Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is at Barker (baseball) Field. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 Adell Ln, Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Fenwick Drayton (here, next to this marker); Mitchelville Site (approx. 0.8 miles away); Reconnecting with Family
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Religion in Mitchelville/School in Mitchelville (approx. 0.8 miles away); Working for Wages/Freedmen’s Bureau (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mitchelville and Abolitionists (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cherry Hill School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mitchelville Building Sites (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
 
Regarding Fish Hall Plantation. Tabby is a building material, made from shells, lime, and water, which forms a sort of concrete. It was used for all sorts of structures, due to a shortage of brick.
 
Also see . . .  National Register Properties in South Carolina. The Fish Haul site represents the only known freedmen village established by occupying Union troops. Listed in the National Register June 30, 1988. ****note**** Limited access, not for general public (Submitted on March 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
A" tabby" piece of structure seen in backround image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. A" tabby" piece of structure seen in backround
Fish Hall Plantation Marker with new paint image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 6, 2011
3. Fish Hall Plantation Marker with new paint
Fish Hall Plantation , From Interpretive sign, Port Royal Plantation, Hilton Head Island image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
4. Fish Hall Plantation , From Interpretive sign, Port Royal Plantation, Hilton Head Island
General Drayton at Fish Hall Plantation in 1860. General Thomas Drayton's wife's family had owned since 1763 an island plantation called Fish Hall Plantation. General Drayton, warden and Vestryman of St. Luke's Parish, owned 102 slaves, many of whom joined the work force of the Union establishment soon after the Battle of Port Royal. Fish Hall Plantation was located approximately ¾ of a mile north from this point. [ site of Fort Walker; coordinates 32.232742 -80.677156 ]
Editor's Note: The photo pictured here was taken in May 1862 by photographer Henry P. Moore (1833-1911) and is available through the Gladstone Collection in the Library of Congress.
Fish Hall Plantation, part of Interpretive Marker at Fort Walker site, Port Royal Plantation image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2009
5. Fish Hall Plantation, part of Interpretive Marker at Fort Walker site, Port Royal Plantation
The Charleston and Savannah Railroad, today part of the Seaboard Coast Line System, [ CSX] was built in 1853 by General Thomas Fenwick Drayton. General Drayton in 1838 married Emma Pope, heiress of Fish Hall Plantation, located approximately one mile across the marsh northwest of this point. The C&S Railroad remained an important Confederate rail link until early 1865 despite many Union attempts to sever it.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 4,869 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on March 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5. submitted on February 10, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6625

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024