Stockton in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Historic Stockton / Old Schoolyard Park
Modern Stockton is situated on a hill just above the original settlement, which was abandoned around 1840 because of Yellow Fever outbreaks. No verified source for the town name exists. Most likely it was named by the local postmaster. The Indian mounds located near Stockton are witnesses of a prehistoric Indian population in the area. In the latter 1700s, Stockton was the most populous settlement in this area, excepting Mobile. Some records indicate the town was settled by Tory refugees from the Atlantic States during the Revolutionary War. Early Stockton residents included the English Commandant of Mobile, Major Robert Farmer who was visited in 1778 by William Bartram, the noted botanist. At that time the town was an English trading post. Later Stockton settlers built saw mills, a small church, a school, and a Masonic hall. The old bell used in the Stockton Presbyterian Church is thought to have been cast in Scotland and brought to America. Stockton today is mostly a residential community with some logging and farming occupations.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
This 11.86-acre site was acquired from A.B. Crosby in 1928 for the sum of $500. Upon it was built Stockton Junior High School, which opened with nine grades in 1929. It was the second Stockton public school site, the first being a three-room wooden structure housing 12 grades. That site was less than one mile south of here, the current grounds upon which Stockton Methodist Church is located. An earlier public school was taught in the Masonic Lodge building. Previous education was private, and schools were held in various locations. Stockton Junior High School was closed by a Federal school desegregation order of 1964 and burned in the 1970s. The Stockton Civic Club leases this site from the Baldwin County Board of Education for use as a public park. The Civic Club, with public and private donations, built the covered pavilion, the Community Center building, a walking trail, and other recreational facilities.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 31° 0.658′ N, 87° 51.035′ W. Marker is in Stockton, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Alabama Route 59, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 53871 Alabama Highway 59, Stockton AL 36579, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Stockton Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bartram’s Trail (approx. one mile away); The Mound Line (approx. 1.1 miles away); Major Robert Farmar Plantation (approx. 2.2 miles away); Public Education in Baldwin County / Little Red Schoolhouse Historic Site (approx. 2.9 miles away); Baldwin County Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Baldwin County Korean War Monument (approx. 3 miles away); First Creek War (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockton.
Also see . . . Stockton heritage Association. This website contains historical write-ups along with additional historical photos of the Stockton area. (Submitted on June 29, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,754 times since then and 192 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on June 29, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.