Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Princess Anne in Somerset County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Princess Anne Treasures

 
 
Princess Anne Treasures Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, May 31, 2013
1. Princess Anne Treasures Marker
Inscription.  
Teackle Mansion
The Teackle Mansion is an outstanding example of neoclassic architecture built between 1802 and 1819. The structure has many unique architectural features and houses a collection of 19th century furnishings. The mansion displays one of the finest examples of symmetry in Maryland. It was the home to Littleton Dennis Teackle, a prominent merchant and statesman. The mansion is located in the town of Princess Anne, near the headwaters of the Manokin River.

Town of Princess Anne
The Town of Princess Anne, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was created by an act of Maryland’s General Assembly in 1733. The town was named in honor of King George II’s daughter, Anne, and is located in what was generally referred to as the “wading place” of the Manokin River.

The town is distinguished by many Federal and Victorian style houses. Scroll the street of Princess Anne with the self-guided walking tour and enjoy the lovingly tended dooryards and the Historic Boxwood Garden.

University of Maryland Eastern Shore
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
initiated in 1886 by the Delaware Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church to educate young black men and women, opened as the Delaware Conference Academy, better known as the Princess Anne Academy, with nine students. In 1919 it was renamed the Eastern Branch of the Maryland Agricultural College when it was designated to provide the land-grant curriculum to the black citizens of the state. In 1948 the college became known as Maryland State College, a division of the University of Maryland. In 1970 it became known as it is today, the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.

The Frederick Douglass Library, named for the self-educated abolitionist, orator, and author born on the Eastern Shore, and the Ella Fitzgerald Center for Performing Arts are important educational and cultural resources for the area.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansArchitectureColonial EraEducationSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
 
Location. 38° 11.65′ N, 75° 41.867′ W. Marker is in Princess Anne, Maryland, in Somerset County. Marker is on Ocean Highway (U.S. 13) 0.7 miles north of Stewart Neck Road. The marker is located
Princess Anne Treasures Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, May 31, 2013
2. Princess Anne Treasures Marker
at a rest stop. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11440 Ocean Hwy, Princess Anne MD 21853, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cultural Treasures (here, next to this marker); St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Historic Boxwood Gardens (approx. 0.7 miles away); Teackle Mansion (approx. 0.7 miles away); Somerset County Circuit Courthouse (approx. ¾ mile away); Princess Anne Town (approx. 0.8 miles away); Manokin Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Somerset County (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princess Anne.
 
Princess Anne Treasures Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, May 31, 2013
3. Princess Anne Treasures Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 430 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=66570

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024