Roneys Point in Ohio County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Erected 1953 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 40° 4.432′ N, 80° 35.893′ W. Marker is in Roneys Point, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is on National Road (U.S. 40) near Dallas Pike (County Route 41), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Triadelphia WV 26059, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Triadelphia (approx. 2.1 miles away); Ray’s Arithmetic (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Dwight D. Eisenhower Highway (was approx. 3˝ miles away but has been reported missing. ); Elm Grove Stone Bridge (approx. 3.8 miles away); “Monument Place” (approx. 3.8 miles away); Forks of Wheeling Creek (approx. 3.9 miles away); Madonna of the Trail (approx. 4 miles away); Jesse Lee Reno (approx. 4 miles away).
Regarding Roney’s Point. This federal-style stone tavern was constructed in the 1820s.
Also see . . .
1. Stone Tavern at Roney's Point. This National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, describes both the Stone Tavern and the Stone House Motel. (Submitted on April 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. August Heimberger. Biography at the West Virginia Genealogical Society. (Submitted on April 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
1. August Heimberger
Mr. Heimberger ran the hotel at Roney's Point from 1869 until his death in 1889. His widow Catherine Mingle Heimberger continued the business until 1892. (see the Heimberger Biography at the West Virginia Genealogical Society)
— Submitted April 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
2. Searight on Roney's
Thomas Searight in his 1894 book, The Old Pike, gives this capsule history: "Roney's Point is next reached, a stage station ten miles from Wheeling. The original owner of the land here was Roney, and its peculiar conformation, a high ridge ending in a point on the south side of the road, gave it the name of Roney's Point. It is a familiar name, and was a lively place during the palmy days of the road. On the north side of the road, at Roney's Point, a large stone tavern was kept by one Ninian Bell, prior to the year 1828. He was succeeded by James Beck, Mrs. Sarah Beck, Moses Thornburg, and Jacob Beck, in the order named. James and Jacob Beck were not relatives. The old Simms line of stages stopped at this house when it was kept by James Beck, and it was the stopping place of the Good Intent line, when kept by Jacob Beck."
— Submitted July 10, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Roney’s Point.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,271 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on July 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on April 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8. submitted on July 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 9, 10. submitted on April 13, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 11. submitted on July 27, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.