Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taos in Taos County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Don Fernando de Taos

 
 
Don Fernando de Taos Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 22, 2013
1. Don Fernando de Taos Marker
Inscription.  The Town of Taos was originally established on May 1, 1796 when 63 families who had petitioned Governor Don Fernando Chacón were placed in possession of the Don Fernando de Taos land grant by the Alcalde of the Pueblo of Taos, Antonio José Ortíz. The Town has existed as a village under the Spanish Crown, then Mexico, and later when New Mexico became a Territory of the United States in 1846. On May 7, 1934 Taos was incorporated as a municipality under New Mexico State law.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1540.
 
Location. 36° 24.429′ N, 105° 34.451′ W. Marker is in Taos, New Mexico, in Taos County. Marker is at the intersection of North Plaza and South Plaza, on the left when traveling west on North Plaza. It is at the entrance to the plaza. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taos NM 87571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Taos (here, next to this marker); Historic Taos Plaza (here, next to this marker); Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Bataan Memorial
Don Fernando de Taos Plaza and Three Markers image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 22, 2013
2. Don Fernando de Taos Plaza and Three Markers
From left to right: Historic Taos marker on a short monopole, this marker, and the Historic Taos Plaza marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Don Fernando de Taos Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Padre Antonio José Martínez (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Taos County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ledoux Street (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taos.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 680 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=66698

Paid Advertisement
Aug. 1, 2021