Fort Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Site of Old Blockhouse
1838 - 1860
Erected 1917 by Capt. Jesse Leavenworth Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 39° 21.329′ N, 94° 55.021′ W. Marker is in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverside Drive and Scott Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Riverside Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Leavenworth KS 66027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zais Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Grant (within shouting distance of this marker); Leigh Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Fe and Oregon Trails (about 500 feet away); First Capital of Kansas Territory (about 800 feet away); The Oregon and Santa Fe TrailsSt. Ignatius Chapel (Building 170) (approx. ¼ mile away); Post Riding Hall (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Leavenworth.
More about this marker. Public access to the post is possible with proper identification, subject to U.S. Army regulations.
Also see . . . Fort Leavenworth. (Submitted on July 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.