Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Metamora in Franklin County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Whitewater Canal State Historic Site

 
 
Whitewater Canal State Historic Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, May 20, 2013
1. Whitewater Canal State Historic Site Marker
Inscription.  The Whitewater Canal was one of several projects begun by the Indiana Improvement Act of 1836, which was designed to improve transportation and develop commerce state-wide. Constructed to link southeastern and central Indiana, the canal was completed in 1847.

The canal extended 68 miles from Lawrenceburg to Cambridge City, with an eight-mile extension north to Hagerstown and a 25-mile extension to Cincinnati.

Although canal traffic flourished for several years, the project proved to be a financial disaster for the state of Indiana. The costs incurred in the construction of the 56 locks and seven feeder dams required to maintain the canal totaled over one million dollars.

The advent and development of the railroad during the early 1860s marked the demise of the Whitewater Canal and the canal era in Indiana.

In 1946, the State of Indiana began the process of reclaiming and restoring a 14-mile section of the original canal.
 
Erected by Whitewater Canal State Historic Site.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
39° 26.807′ N, 85° 7.477′ W. Marker is near Metamora, Indiana, in Franklin County. Marker is on U.S. 52, 0.4 miles east of McGuire Ridge Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Metamora IN 47030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Locking Thru Lock No. 24 (a few steps from this marker); Whitewater Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Metamora to Twin Locks: along the trail (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Duck Creek Aqueduct (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Whitewater Canal State Historic Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Metamora Christian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stable (approx. half a mile away); Old Faulkner-Pierce Drug Store (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Metamora.
 
Also see . . .  Whitewater Canal - Water Wheels and Canal Boats. From the Indiana State Museum website. (Submitted on July 19, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.) 
 
Whitewater Canal State Historic Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, May 20, 2013
2. Whitewater Canal State Historic Site Marker
Restored Section of Whitewater Canal image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, May 20, 2013
3. Restored Section of Whitewater Canal
Near entrance to Lock #24
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=66862

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024