Lincoln in Lancaster County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Lincoln Army Air Field - Lincoln Air Force Base
At war's end the airfield served as a military separation center for aircrews returning from overseas. It closed in December 1945 and was returned to the City of Lincoln for a municipal airport.
In 1952 the Strategic Air Command activated the airfield as Lincoln Air Force Base under a joint-use lease agreement between the U.S. Air Force and the City of Lincoln. Bomber wings, air refueling squadrons, and an Atlas ICBM squadron were assigned to the base.
In 1966 the base closed and the property was transferred to the City of Lincoln for use as a municipal airport, industrial park, and public housing community.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, Cold • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1945.
Location. 40° 51.834′ N, 96° 46.974′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, Nebraska, in Lancaster County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of NW 44th St and W. Cuming St. Marker is located at Bowling Lake Park in the parking lot accessed from NW 44th St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln NE 68524, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lincoln Army Air Field Regimental Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Osborne Athletic Complex (approx. 5 miles away); "America's Mission" (approx. 5 miles away); Humane Society Fountain (approx. 5 miles away); Historic Haymarket District (approx. 5.1 miles away); Lincoln's Founding Block (approx. 5.2 miles away); Original Site of St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Mueller Tower at University of Nebraska-Lincoln (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Also see . . . Lincoln Air Force Base Online Museum. (Submitted on July 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 597 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.