Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Richey in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Oelsner Mound

 
 
Oelsner Mound Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, June 15, 2013
1. Oelsner Mound Marker
Inscription.  This Indian mound is all that remains of a late Weeden Island period community, probably settled about A.D. 1000 and inhabited for several hundred years. Excavations conducted in 1879 by S.T. Walker for the Smithsonian Institution indicated this was a temple mound. A nearby burial mound, excavated in 1903 by Clarence B. Moore, was subsequently destroyed by developers along with other remnants of the prehistoric community. This mound was preserved by its owner, the late "Aunt" Martha Oelsner, who believed that it also contains Timuqua or Calusa Indian graves.
 
Erected 1983 by Pasco Board of County Commissioners and the Historical Preservation Committee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans.
 
Location. 28° 16.314′ N, 82° 43.952′ W. Marker is in Port Richey, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is on Sunset Drive, on the left when traveling west. Located in front of mound. The Pithlachascotee River is opposite. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Richey FL 34668, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker,
Oelsner Mound with marker in foreground. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, June 15, 2013
2. Oelsner Mound with marker in foreground.
Click or scan to see
this page online
measured as the crow flies. Pine Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church (approx. 1½ miles away); Sims Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Green Key (approx. 2 miles away); Old Elfers School (approx. 3.7 miles away); West Elfers Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Baker House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Seven Springs (approx. 5.8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 605 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67070

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022