New Port Richey in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pine Hill Cemetery
On September 26, 1917, the Pine Hill Cemetery Association was chartered to sell and maintain burial plots. Charter members were: Minnie Broesma, Lonnie Clark, Alice Davis, Jennie Leach, Emma Rowan and Nettie Sheldon.
Fred "Dutch" Casper, a caretaker, opened and closed the graves during the early years. On May 15, 1926, the cemetery was deeded to the City of New Port Richey. The city, with the help of family members, now maintains this historic place.
Members of many pioneer families are buried here as is Medal of Honor recipient James W. Huff, a veteran of the Indian Wars. Others include veterans from the Grand Army of the Republic, the Spanish American War, World Wars I and II and the Korean Conflict. The graves of veterans in the Veterans' section and throughout the cemetery, are maintained by Paradise Post No. 79 of the American Legion, founded in 1927.
Erected 2002 by Pasco Board
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical date for this entry is May 15, 1926.
Location. 28° 16.421′ N, 82° 42.723′ W. Marker is in New Port Richey, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is at the intersection of Pine Hill Road and Oakleaf Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Pine Hill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Richey FL 34668, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oelsner Mound (approx. 1.3 miles away); Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sims Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Green Key (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old Elfers School (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Baker House (approx. 4½ miles away); West Elfers Cemetery (approx. 4½ miles away); Mc Neil Homestead 1882 (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Port Richey.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 51 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 27, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?