Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bath in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

John Garzia

ca. 1690-1744

 
 
John Garzia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
1. John Garzia Marker
Inscription.  Anglican minister, born in Spain. Served parish, 1733-1744, in spite of difficulties inherent to life in colonial N.C.
 
Erected 2005 by North Carolina Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number B-63.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list.
 
Location. 35° 28.454′ N, 76° 48.785′ W. Marker is in Bath, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Craven Street, on the right when traveling east. Located between South Main Street and Harding Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bath NC 27808, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Thomas Church (a few steps from this marker); Alexander Stewart (a few steps from this marker); John F. Tompkins (within shouting distance of this marker); First Post Road (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward Teach
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); First Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Palmer-Marsh House (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Adams Floating Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bath.
 
Regarding John Garzia.    In 1733, members of St. Thomas Parish persuaded John Garzia, who had traveled to America as a missionary under the auspices of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (SPG), to come to North Carolina from Virginia and minister in Bath. Garzia was then one of only two ministers assigned to churches in the colony. The parish offered to pay his salary and he supervised construction on St.
Thomas Church the following year. Garzia was, at times, the only recognized member of the church in
North Carolina, at other times sharing responsibilities for the religious welfare of the entire colony with one other minister. His Spanish accent is said to have made his English difficult to understand.
   Born in Spain around 1690, Garzia served as a Catholic priest in Cadiz until he fled to Ireland as a result of the Spanish Inquisition. Once in Dublin, Garzia converted to the Church of Ireland. As an Anglican, Garzia
John Garzia Marker, on Craven Street, looking east image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
2. John Garzia Marker, on Craven Street, looking east
became a paid “priest catcher,” informing authorities on ministers who continued to officiate at illegal Catholic mass services. A dutiful minister, Garzia served North Carolina parishioners by traveling great distances to deliver services, all with little or no compensation. A highlight of his ministry was delivery of a sermon to the Governor and Assembly in Edenton in 1734. His untimely death in 1744 was the result of a fall from his horse while enroute to minister to sick parishioners. His death left his wife destitute and creditors seized his property to settle his debts. The SPG provided his widow and three children a pension.
   Seen as one of the most dedicated and successful of early SPG missionaries, Garzia overcame the obstacles of poor pay, reluctant parishioners separated by large distances, and rough terrain to serve the colony for eleven years, longer than other Anglican ministers up until that point. Committed to the betterment of his flock, Garzia sought to provide books to educate and offered to cover some expenses of the church from his salary. Still at St. Thomas Church are a number of artifacts acquired during his tenure, among them a silver chalice engraved with his name, two silver candelabra presented by King George II in 1740 when the church was consecrated, and the Queen Anne’s bell, cast in 1732. Because Garzia’s hardships were well-known to the SPG
John Garzia Marker, looking west along Craven Street, image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
3. John Garzia Marker, looking west along Craven Street,
and others in England, the Society was reluctant to reply to requests for a replacement for Garzia—the longest serving, and arguably the first permanent minister, in the parish—until nearly ten years later with the arrival of Alexander Stewart. (North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 547 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67170

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024