Luzern, Switzerland — Central Europe (the Alps)
Nach Aufhebung der Jesuitenniederlassung 1773 Professorenkonvikt, seit 1804 Regierungsgebäude. 1841 – 1843 wurde der halbrunde Grossratssaal in klassizistischem Stil durch Melchior Berri angebaut.
Der bemerkenswerte Arkadeninnenhof birgt im dritten Geschoss dem um 1615 von Jakob von Wyl gemalten Totentanzzyklus.
Unter Denkmalschutz seit 1963, restauriert 1984 – 1986.
Built 1556-1564 as a residence for mayor Lux Ritter by Domenico Solbiolo from Ponte Caprisca, and designed by Pietro del Grilio from Lugano. After the death of Ritter, the Council was responsible for the completion of the Renaissance building and handed it
After the dissolution of the Jesuit order in 1773, the building became a collegiate seminary, and has been a government building since 1804. In 1841-1843 a semicircular grand council chamber was built in the neoclassical style by Melchior Berri.
The arcaded courtyard holds, on the third floor, the striking Dance of Death painted around 1615 by Jakob von Wyl.
Historical monument since 1963, restored 1984-1986.
Erected by Stadt der Luzern (City of Lucerne).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1556.
Location. 47° 3.034′ N, 8° 18.267′ E. Marker is in Luzern. Marker is on Bahnhofstrasse, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Bahnhofstrasse 17, Luzern 6003, Switzerland. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jesuitenkirche (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pfyffer Student House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Singer House (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Von Sonnenberg House (about 90 meters away); The Sonnenberg House in ZoepfliFishermens Point (about 120 meters away); The Burgher Gate (about 120 meters away); Stammhaus Corragioni D’Orelli (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Luzern.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 556 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.