Winchester in Clark County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Gov. James Clark Judicial Center
The building is named in honor of Gov. James Clark in recognition of his distinguished service as a jurist. As a circuit judge, Clark declared Kentucky’s replevin law unconstitutional on May 15, 1822, ensuring fiscal responsibility in Kentucky and requiring that legal debts be paid.
In addition to service as circuit judge, Clark, who opened a law office in Winchester in 1798, served two terms in the Kentucky House, two years as a judge of the Kentucky Court of Appeals, five terms in Congress, and in 1832 was elected to the Kentucky Senate, and chosen its speaker in 1835.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1792.
Location. 37° 59.583′ N, 84° 10.65′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Kentucky, in Clark County. Marker is on Cleveland Avenue west of South Main Street (U.S. 60), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester KY 40391, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. County Named 1793 (here, next to this marker); "Morgan's Men" Here (here, next to this marker); Clark County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Clark County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Downtown Commercial District (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Pastime Theater Disaster (about 500 feet away); Hanson Home Site (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 4, 2021, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. 2. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Would appreciate photo of back side of the marker and a full view of the building itself. • Can you help?