Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Columbia in Lexington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Congaree River Bridges

 
 
Old Congaree River Bridges Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 9, 2013
1. Old Congaree River Bridges Marker
Inscription.  
Before a bridge was attempted at this location, earlier bridges farther down river had been built, but were washed away in floods. Consequently, for more than 30 years only ferry service provided transportation across the river. In 1827 the Columbia Bridge Company built a wooden bridge at Gervais Street. It remained there until 1865 when Confederate soldiers burned it and other bridges to delay the advance of Sherman’s troops. A steel bridge with wooden flooring was built in 1870, using most of the remaining stone piers. It was privately owned until 1912 when Richland and Lexington counties bought it and was dismantled when the current bridge was built. The large stone abutment on the West Columbia riverbank and the regularly spaced remnant of stone piers in the river show where these earlier bridges crossed the Congaree River.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
 
Location. 33° 59.708′ N, 81° 3.165′ W. Marker is in West Columbia, South Carolina, in Lexington County. Marker can be reached
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
from Alexander Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located along the Three Rivers Greenway, under the Gervais Street Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Columbia SC 29169, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Friday’s Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); “City of Columbia” Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker); Gervais Street Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); River Inn, c. 1740s (within shouting distance of this marker); Milestones (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congaree River Bridges (approx. ¼ mile away); 1896 Power Plant (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Gervais Street Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Columbia.
 
More about this marker. Four photos on the right side of the marker depict bridges at this location. They include the following captions:
“Confederate soldiers burned this bridge to block General Sherman’s advance into Columbia in February, 1865. Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library, USC.”
“The 1837 bridge with its wooden covering under construction, after and 1828 sketch by a visiting Englishman. Illustration courtesy of the S.C. State Museum.”
“Horses and carriages crossing the 1870s bridge. Courtesy of the
Old Congaree River Bridges Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 9, 2013
2. Old Congaree River Bridges Marker
South Carolina Caroliniana Library, USC
.” and
“Flood of August, 1908, with water to the bottom of the wooden decking. Photograph by Chapiesky Studio. Courtesy of the S.C. State Museum.”
 
Old Congaree River Bridges Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 9, 2013
3. Old Congaree River Bridges Marker
Marker at the Three Rivers Greenway image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 9, 2013
4. Marker at the Three Rivers Greenway
The marker, seen on the right, is located under the current bridge over the Congaree River.
Gervais Street Bridge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, August 9, 2013
5. Gervais Street Bridge
This is the current bridge that spans the Congaree River.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 850 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67766

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024