Clark County Courthouse
Clark County, named in honor of Revolutionary War hero General George Rogers Clark, was created in 1792. A two-room log cabin courthouse built here in 1794 on land donated by John Baker. Replaced by two-story brick bldg. in 1797. Third courthouse, built 1821, was where Henry Clay argued his last case before a jury, 1849.
Today’s courthouse, designed by noted Lexington architect John McMurtry, was completed in 1855 at a cost of over $40,000. Clock tower raised and courtroom moved upstairs in 1889. Courthouse was expanded in 1938 by addition of a rear block matching the front. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Erected 2008 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways, presented by the Clark County Fiscal Court. (Marker Number 2256.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
Location. 37° 59.567′ N, 84° 10.65′ W. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gov. James Clark Judicial Center (within shouting distance of this marker); County Named 1793 (within shouting distance of this marker); "Morgan's Men" Here (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Clark County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Downtown Commercial District (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Pastime Theater Disaster (about 600 feet away); Hanson Home Site (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 4, 2021, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 5. submitted on January 4, 2021, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.