“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Croom in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

The Town of Nottingham

The Town of Nottingham Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, August 20, 2013
1. The Town of Nottingham Marker
Inscription.  The 1608 records of Captain John Smith's exploration of the Chesapeake Bay and its rivers indicate that the town of Nottingham was located near the former site of an American Indian village called Wosameus. formerly known as Mattapany Landing, Nottingham occupied fifty-five acres along the Patuxent River, about five miles south of Charles Town (Prince George's County's first County Seat from 1696-1721). The town of Nottingham was a bustling eighteenth century port which hosted British and American soldiers in the War of 1812, and is now a quaint river front community whose name carries a rich history.

In 1706, the Maryland General Assembly passed "An Act for the Advancement of Trade". The act named five new towns in Prince George's County: Mill Town, Queen Anne Town, Aire, Upper Marlborough and Nottingham. During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries ocean-going sailing ships docked at the wharves that lined the shores of Nottingham. Merchants opened stores that sole West Indies rum, muscovado sugar, and European and East Indian goods. Multitudes of slaves were imported from Africa and sold at Nottingham to provide labor
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
for the local tobacco plantations.

Ships bound for Europe collected vast quantities of tobacco at Nottingham. In 1747, the legislature passed the Tobacco Inspection Act, which mandated the grading of tobacco and designated Nottingham as the site for an inspection house. Between 1791 and 1801 over 8,340 hogsheads (one hogshead holds 400-500 pounds) of tobacco were shipped out of the town.

By the turn of the 18th Century, large cargo vessels began to bypass towns such as Nottingham. Sail powered boats gave way to bay steamers. Nottingham survived much of the nineteenth century with the help of the Weems steamboat line that supplied the town with staple goods and carried farm produce to Baltimore. Some businesses such as the Woodfield Canning Factory were established during the twentieth century but Nottingham declined considerably by the 1930s. By the late 1900s, the population had declined to 50 or 60 residents and Nottingham faded from the map. Today, very little remains of the once important Patuxent River town.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansColonial EraIndustry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1608.
Location. 38° 42.654′ N, 76° 42.221′ W. Marker is in Croom, Maryland, in Prince George's County
The Town of Nottingham Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, August 20, 2013
2. The Town of Nottingham Marker
The marker is in front of the Nottingham Schoolhouse.
. Marker is on Nottingham Road, 0.1 miles north of Tanyard Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is in front of the Nottingham Schoolhouse, about 250 feet from roadway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Nottingham Schoolhouse (here, next to this marker); The War of 1812 (here, next to this marker); Changing Guard (within shouting distance of this marker); Nottingham (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary (approx. 1.2 miles away); Shaded Reprieve (approx. 1.6 miles away); Smithville United Methodist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Woodland Indian Villages on the Patuxent River (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Croom.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2013, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,303 times since then and 246 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2013, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024