Mayfield in Fulton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1773 by Sir William
Johnson. Burned During
Revolution. Rebuilt by Col.
Abraham Romeyn. Commander
Montgomery County Militia
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1773.
Location. 43° 5.85′ N, 74° 15.407′ W. Marker is in Mayfield, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on School Street, on the right when traveling north. The Romeyn's Mill Marker is at the north end of the bridge that spans the spill way that seperates Mayfield Little Lake Outlet and the Great Sacandaga Reservoir. Marker also overlooks the nearby Mayfield Marina. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mayfield NY 12117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dutch Reformed Church of Mayfield (approx. half a mile away); Anthonyville (approx. one mile away); Burying Ground (approx. 1.1 Rice Homestead (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mayfield Fort (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Burying Ground (approx. 1.1 miles away); Riceville Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Captain Solomon Woodworth (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mayfield.
Regarding Romeyn's Mill. "The site of the first grist or flour mill in the town is that now occupied by the grist and saw-mill of Edward A. Elphie on Mayfield creek at Shawville. It was erected under the direction of Sir William Johnson in 1773, but was burned during the revolution. The mill was confiscated with other tory property, and at the close of the war was sold to a son of Rev. Mr. Romeyn, who rebuilt it and carried on business there for a number of years. It was known at that time as Romeyn's Mills, and the creek upon which it was located was called Romeyn creek, but in 1795 the property came into the possession of a man named Bogert, who conducted it for a few years and then sold to William A. Wells. He operated it for a time and then sold it to Robert Zule. The mill passed from his hands into the possession of Horace Stanley,
Also see . . . Historical Markers Around the Great Sacandaga Lake. (Submitted on September 11, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Sir William Johnson, Abraham Romeyn
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 990 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on August 27, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1. submitted on September 10, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 2. submitted on January 17, 2020, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on September 10, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5. submitted on July 7, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.