New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
City Meat Market
— Historic Downtown New Ulm —
Rosa Schnobrich opened the City Meat Market in 1907 with the advertising slogan, "Better Meats, Cleaner Meats, and Quicker Service." Her sausages, in particular, proved popular, and soon her shop began supplying a network of wholesale dealers throughout southern Minnesota. The business was first located at 4 North Minnesota Street, moving to 15 South Minnesota Street in 1914.
In 1927, Schnobrich purchased an older building on this site and proceeded to completely rebuild and expand it to accommodate a shop in the front and a large meat processing plant in the rear. She died two years later, leaving the business to her sons, Oscar and Hugo. The City Meat Market remained in the family until it closed in the 1980s.
The last crucial engagement of the Second Battle of New Ulm took place on this site on August 23, 1862. Dakota forces occupied August Kiesling's blacksmith shop late in the afternoon. Fearing that it would make their defensive position untenable, Charles Flandrau, Jacob Nix, and about sixty men charged over the barricades toward the blacksmith shop. The Dakota were driven out and retired from the area.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Industry & Commerce • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 44° 18.793′ N, 94° 27.524′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street and South Minnesota Street on Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 South Minnesota Street, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brown County Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); The George Kuhlman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Boesch, Hummel, and Maltzahn Block (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Guardians of the Past (about 500 feet away); Flandrau's Charge (about 600 feet away); Arbeiter Hall (about 600 feet away); Erd Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
More about this marker. photo caption:
Above: City Meat Market, shortly after it opened in 1927.
Below: Rosa Schnobrich
Images from the Brown County Historical Society
Also see . . . City Meat Market, New Ulm, Minnesota. YouTube video. (Submitted on August 31, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.