Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrodsburg in Mercer County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Graham Springs

 
 
Graham Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ken Smith, August 18, 2013
1. Graham Springs Marker
Inscription.  As early as 1807, springs in this area were used as a spa. In 1827, Dr. Christopher C. Graham purchased the springs. This "Saratoga of the West" flourished until 1853, when sold to US Gov't. as a military asylum. Fire later destroyed main buildings and the place fell into disuse. Judge Ben C. Allin opened a resort called "Graham Springs" on these grounds, beginning 1912.
 
Erected 1969 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1297.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & MedicineSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1807.
 
Location. 37° 45.359′ N, 84° 50.866′ W. Marker is in Harrodsburg, Kentucky, in Mercer County. It is in . Marker is on Linden Avenue north of Fairground Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrodsburg KY 40330, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. An Early Derby Winner / Another Derby Winner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mercer County Fair and Horse Show
Graham Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ken Smith, August 18, 2013
2. Graham Springs Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 600 feet away); Harrodsburg Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tabler House (approx. ¼ mile away); Poteet House (approx. ¼ mile away); VanArsdall / Sale House (approx. ¼ mile away); Dedman House (approx. ¼ mile away); G. A. Curry House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrodsburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2013, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 2, 2013, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee.   2. submitted on September 1, 2013, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=68313

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jan. 28, 2023