Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
"The Great Endurance Run"
On November 23, 1909, the "Autoists" participating in "The Great Endurance Run" were treated to a gala banquet and overnight stay at "The White House Hotel" which was located at this exact site. This event ended the first day of driving for the "Drivers and Observers" of the eighteen automobiles that took part in the grueling, four day "Endurance Run" from Tampa to Jacksonville to Tampa to promote good roads for Florida. The event did, indeed, foster bond issues and highway construction throughout Florida. The original "Run" was sponsored by The Tampa Daily Times under the auspices of the Tampa Automobile Club with Coca-Cola being advertising sponsors.
Erected 1984 by The Sun Bank of Gainesville in cooperation with the "Autoists" participating in the seventy-fifth anniversary re-enactment of "The Great Endurance Run".
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1849.
Location. 29° 39.328′ N, 82° 19.492′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on North Main Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 411 N Main Street, Gainesville FL 32601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roper Park / Old City Park (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mt. Carmel Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Gainesville (approx. ¼ mile away); First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville (approx. ¼ mile away); East Florida Seminary (approx. ¼ mile away); Josiah T. Walls (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 645 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on September 2, 2013, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photo 1. submitted on August 12, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?