Near Vandalia in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Birch Lake Meeting House
Quakers from the mid-Atlantic region settled here during the 1830's. This is the site of the meeting house, built in 1856, which replaced a log cabin dating from 1837. The congregation contained many active Abolitionists, and this area soon became an important link in the Underground Railroad. In 1927 the property was deeded to the Birch Lake Cemetery Association to be used "for the spiritual betterment of the community."
Erected by Birch Lake Cemetery Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 41° 53.115′ N, 85° 53.099′ W. Marker is near Vandalia, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker is on James Street, 0.1 miles north of Brownsville Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vandalia MI 49095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Underground Railroad The Kentucky Raid (approx. 2.8 miles away); Poe's Corners (approx. 4.4 miles away); A Station of the Underground Railway (approx. 4.4 miles away); Captain Iven C. Kincheloe Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); Lewis Cass (approx. 6.7 miles away); Freedom Road (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vandalia.
More about this marker. This site is Stop #3 on the Cass County Underground Railroad Sites auto tour.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.