Prospect Park in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Morton Homestead State Park
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - 1970
Erected by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and the Signers of the Declaration of Independence series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1654.
Location. 39° 52.637′ N, 75° 18.318′ W. Marker is in Prospect Park, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is on Lincoln Avenue / Wanamaker Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 420), on the right when traveling south. This marker is next to Darby Creek where Lincoln Avenue changes to Wanamaker Avenue (420) about 1/10 th mile north of Interstate 95. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Lincoln Avenue, Prospect Park PA 19076, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ridley Township (approx. 0.4 miles away); John MortonTinicum Township (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tinicum (approx. 0.9 miles away); Governor Printz Park (approx. one mile away); Lazaretto Quarantine Station (approx. 1.1 miles away); New Sweden (approx. 1.1 miles away); Johan Printz (approx. 1.1 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Morton Homestead - Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 11, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. Oldest buildings in Pennsylvania - List. (Submitted on September 11, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
3. John Morton at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on September 18, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
1. One of the oldest buildings in Pennsylvania:
The Morton homestead was founded in 1654 by Morton Mortenson, from Finland when the area along the Delaware River was part of the New Sweden colony. Mortenson's great-grandson, John Morton, signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776. Parts of this house date back to 1698 it is one of the oldest buildings in Pennsylvania.
— Submitted September 11, 2013, by Keith
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 763 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 11, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.