Near Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Route of El Camino Real
(Also known as Old San Antonio Road and Old Spanish Road)
Over the centuries, explorers, traders, smugglers, armed men, and civilians traversed this road. In 1820 Moses Austin traveled it to San Antonio to request a land grant from Spanish officials. The colonizing venture he started later brought thousands of Anglo-Americans over the road to help settle Texas.
In 1915 the Texas Legislature appropriated $5,000 to survey and mark the route. The Daughters of the American Revolution and other patriotic groups sponsored and endorsed the project, and V.N. Zivley was commissioned to make the survey. In 1918 the state and D.A.R. placed granite markers approximately every five miles along the Texas section of the road.
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8706.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail series list.
Location. 30° 38.737′ N, 96° 30.34′ W. Marker is near Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is on Old San Antonio Road 0.2 miles north of Texas Highway 21, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bryan TX 77807, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moseley's Ferry (approx. 2.7 miles away); Brazos River Levee (approx. 2.8 miles away); Near Homesite of Judge Andrew S. Broaddus (approx. 7.1 miles away); Cooks Point (approx. 7.1 miles away); Kings Highway (approx. 7.1 miles away); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (approx. 8 miles away); The CW&BV and I&GN Railroads in Bryan (approx. 8 miles away); La Salle Hotel (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2013, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,078 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 15, 2013, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 2. submitted on February 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2013, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 5. submitted on February 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.