Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bolzano in Autonome Provinz Bozen - Südtirol, Trentino-South Tyrol, Italy — Southern and Western Europe (Mediterranean)
 

First World War Military Hospital

 
 
First World War Military Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
1. First World War Military Hospital Marker
Inscription.  Questo edificio, già convento dei padri Domenicani dal 1276 al 1790, venne adibito durante la prima guerra mondaile ad imperial-regio ospedale militare. Il Capitano Medico Dr. Lorenz Böhler, VI fondo nell’agosto del 1916 la moderna traumatologia.

Dieses Gebäude, von 1276 bis 1790 Dominikanerkloster, diente im 1. Weltkrieg als K.u.K. Kriegslazarett. Hier bergündete im August 1916 der Regimentsarzt Dr. Lorenz Böhler die moderne unfallchirurgie.

Italian/German – English translation:

This building, formerly the convent of the Dominicans from 1276 to 1790, was used during the First World War as an (Austrian) imperial military hospital. Here in August 1916 the regimental surgeon Dr. Lorenz Boehler began modern trauma surgery.
 
Erected 1989 by Heimatschutzerein Bozen.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & MedicineWar, World I. A significant historical year for this entry is 1276.
 
Location. 46° 29.864′ N, 11° 21.103′ E. Marker is in Bolzano, Trentino-Alto Adige (Trentino-South Tyrol)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Autonome Provinz Bozen - Südtirol. Marker is on Piazza Domenicani/Dominikaner Platz, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Piazza Domenican, 18, Bolzano, Trentino-Alto Adige 39100, Italy. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dominican Church and Monastery (a few steps from this marker); Neptune’s Fountain (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Cathedral (Parish Church of Our Lady of the Assumption) (about 180 meters away); Residence of the Troilo Family (about 210 meters away); Mercantile Palace (about 240 meters away); The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Franciscan Monastery (approx. 0.4 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .  Lorenz Böhler - Wikipedia. In 1914 Lorenz Böhler went to an international surgeons congress in New York. On his way to the congress he met Belgian doctor Albin Lambotte, who told him about surgical methods of fracture treatment....the military hospital was expanded to a special station for bone fractures and renamed “Spezialabteilung für Knochenschussbrüche und Gelenkschüsse”. There Lorenz Böhler was able to realize some of his most groundbreaking ideas: everything got specialized and standardized, records were kept for later (statistic) analyses... (Submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
First World War Military Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 20, 2013
2. First World War Military Hospital Marker
 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 710 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=68733

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024