Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lowell in Benton County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Butterfield Stagecoach Road

Established 1858

 
 
The Butterfield Stagecoach Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, September 15, 2013
1. The Butterfield Stagecoach Road Marker
Inscription.  This marker, set on the Butterfield Stagecoach Road, is placed near the spot where the trail crossed the east-west road between Huntsville and the Robinson settlement in western Benton County. John Robinson, a Revolutionary soldier, settled here about 1837 and the "road to Robinson" was designated at this point as "Robinson Cross Roads".
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & PatriotismRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 36° 15.471′ N, 94° 7.91′ W. Marker is near Lowell, Arkansas, in Benton County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Place and McClure Avenue (Route 923), on the right when traveling north on Jackson Place. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 Jackson Place, Lowell AR 72745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Site of Bloomington (Mudtown) Arkansas (here, next to this marker); Evaporator Near Railroad Track (within shouting distance
The Butterfield Stagecoach Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, September 15, 2013
2. The Butterfield Stagecoach Road Marker
view southwest at intersection of Old Wire Road (left/right) and Apple Blossom Avenue (in foreground).
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker); The Bank of Lowell (within shouting distance of this marker); Lowell Postal Service (within shouting distance of this marker); Train Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Jail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canning Factory (approx. ¼ mile away); Cross Hollows (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowell.
 
More about this marker. Originally, marker was near 36° 14.317′ N, 94° 6.924′ W., at the intersection of Old Wire Road and Apple Blossom Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Old Wire Road. It has been moved to the Lowell History Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the marker at its new location. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=68781

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 5, 2021