Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Littleville in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

History of Littleville, Alabama

 
 
History of Littleville, Alabama Marker (side 1) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, October 1, 2013
1. History of Littleville, Alabama Marker (side 1)
Inscription.  (side 1)
Capt. Benjamin F. Little, a former Confederate soldier, opened a store here after the railroad from Tuscumbia to Russellville was built in 1887. A train station and several houses were soon erected. A rail spur provided access to nearby iron ore mines. Capt. A.H. Keller owned a sandstone quarry and summer resort called Fern Quarry near Keller Springs just north of the town in the 1880s and 1890s. The stone was used in construction of a blast furnace and commercial buildings in Sheffield. In 1917, Jackson Highway (U.S. Hwy 43) was constructed along the general route of the old Jackson Military Road.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
According to local lore, early settler Hezekiah Tharp's wife Nancy was a daughter of Chickasaw Chief George Colbert (the county is named for him and his brother Levi). Ligon Springs, 1~1/2 miles west, was a popular summer resort in the 1870s. The water was advertised as a cure for dropsy, dyspepsia, sore eyes, kidney diseases, etc. By 1910, Littleville had a population of 30. Its merchants
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
were J.D. Bullington, general merchandise; G.W. Hargett, lumber; M.C. Murray, general merchandise; L.O. Breitling, bakery; and C.J. Brockaway, lawyer. The town was incorporated in 1956 and Frank Bullington became the first mayor.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Littleville.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 34° 35.312′ N, 87° 40.591′ W. Marker is in Littleville, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is at the intersection of George Wallace Highway (U.S. 43) and Lynwood Avenue (County Route 77), on the right when traveling north on George Wallace Highway. Marker is located in front of the Littleville Town Hall and Police Department. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1810 George Wallace Hwy, Russellville AL 35654, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belle Mont (approx. 5.4 miles away); History of Russellville (approx. 6.4 miles away); Historic Roxy Theatre (approx. 6.4 miles away); Russellville (approx. 6.6 miles away); Counts Family Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away); Ascension
History of Littleville, Alabama Marker (side 2) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, October 1, 2013
2. History of Littleville, Alabama Marker (side 2)
(approx. 7.4 miles away); LaGrange Military Academy (approx. 8.2 miles away); LaGrange College (approx. 8.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Benjamin F Little. Serg. CO H, 4th ALA INF, Confederate States Army (Submitted on October 2, 2013, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.) 

2. Arthur Henry Keller. Civil War Confederate Army Officer. He was the father of Helen Keller (Submitted on October 2, 2013, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.) 

3. Frank Howard Bullington. Former mayor of Littleville dies. (Submitted on October 2, 2013, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.) 
 
History of Littleville, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, October 1, 2013
3. History of Littleville, Alabama Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2013, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 1,316 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2013, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=68954

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024