Near Charlotte in Dickson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
On January 13, 1863, Confederate Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s cavalry established positions nearby and ambushed Union ships. Wheeler’s men destroyed two Union hospital ships, USS Trio and Parthenia, and one gunboat before retiring. Federal authorities sent large patrols to intercept Wheeler’s force, but they were unsuccessful. Union Gen. William S. Rosecrans complained a month later that the attacks represented “inhuman violations of the rules of civilized warfare by the rebel
Federal forces resumed construction of the unfinished Nashville and Northwestern Railroad in 1863. Completed in May 1864, the rail line transported Union supplies into Nashville, thereby negating the navigational hazards of Harpeth Shoals. Confederate guerrillas mounted no more attacks on the Cumberland River in this area following the completion of the railroad.
Gen. Joseph Wheeler Courtesy Library of Congress
“Guerillas burning Steamers on the Cumberland River” John Fitch, Annals of the Army of the Cumberland (1863)
(map) Courtesy of U.S. Corps of Engineers Archives, Nashville
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 36° 18.22′ N, 87° 9.209′ W. Marker is near Charlotte, Tennessee, in Dickson County. Marker is on Dozier Boat Dock Road 1.1 miles north of Ashland City Highway Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1190 Dozier Boat Dock Road, Charlotte TN 37036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Neptune (approx. 2.9 miles away); Old Neptune School (approx. 4.9 miles away); Thomas Jefferson Stump (approx. 5.2 miles away); Sycamore Mill (approx. 5.8 miles away); Pleasant View (approx. 9.1 miles away); Willie Blount (approx. 11.1 miles away); Cumberland Furnace Iron Plantation (approx. 11½ miles away); Thompson House (approx. 11.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 750 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.