Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Walter Reed Memorial
1851 - 1902
Bacteriologist - Research Scientist
In honor of his great work in the fight for the eradication of yellow fever
Insignia of the Army Medical Corps
In recognition of the high public service of Major Walter Reed. U.S.A.
Erected 1966 by U.S. Army.
Topics. This historical marker and memorial is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • War, Spanish-American • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 38° 58.424′ N, 77° 2.053′ W. Marker is in Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is at the intersection of Main Drive Northwest and 14th Street Northwest, in the median on Main Drive Northwest. Memorial is on the campus of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center. It is accessible from the medical center's main gate off Georgia Avenue Northwest. Visitors without DOD identification may be required to obtain vehicle passes and instructions before proceeding onto the facility. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Army Nurse Corps Training (within shouting distance of this marker); Cameron's Creek and the Rose Garden (approx. ¼ mile away); Borden's Dream Realized (approx. ¼ mile away); Walter Reed Army Medical Center (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Walter Reed Army Medical Center (approx. ¼ mile away); WRAMC - Modern Era (approx. ¼ mile away); Walter Reed General Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); Borden's Dream (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brightwood.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Major Walter Reed. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Carlos Finley; Cuba; Yellow Fever Commission; Army Medical Museum.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,483 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on October 4, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.