Near Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Leigh-Morgan Property at Grassland
In 1898 Thomas J. and Mattie Dudley Leigh purchased a 103-acre parcel of land on the west side of Hillsboro Pike in the area known as the Grassland community. Supporting the family as farm land and orchids, the property evolved into a business community beginning with Bob’s Service Station in 1939, owned by daughter, Eliza B. Leigh Morgan and husband, Bob Morgan, Sr. Further commercial development was continued by son, R.W. (Bobby) Morgan, Jr. on his portion of the family property.
Having attended local schools, Grassland Elementary, Battle Ground Academy and Franklin High and serving 3 years in the U.S. Navy, Bobby Morgan returned to Grassland with the entrepreneurial foresight to plan, develop and build the Grassland Shopping Center. In a spirit of community service characteristic of his life he donated use of the land for a Williamson County Rescue Station and a County Convenience Center for many years. The thriving businesses here today continue to serve the community
Erected 2010 by Williamson County Historical Society in memory
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 35° 59.886′ N, 86° 53.184′ W. Marker is near Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Hillsboro Pike (US 431) south of J B Hood Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Montpier (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grassland Community (approx. 0.9 miles away); Berry’s Chapel Stone Wall / Berry's Chapel Community (approx. 1.3 miles away); Berry’s Chapel Church of Christ (approx. 1.4 miles away); Samuel Claybrook Locke (approx. 1.4 miles away); Motheral/Moran House (approx. 1˝ miles away); Motheral-Ring Family of Locust Guard (approx. 1.6 miles away); Highland View (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.